Full-time opening at First Presbyterian Church, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
The Assistant Pastor of Mission Engagement responds to God’s call on the Christian Church to embody outreach strategies, programs and experiences that are biblical, faithful, meaningful and conversational. While First Pres is looking for a missions-minded Pastor to lead our local and global outreach, we are looking beyond the program model to a discipleship model of mission integrated into the entire body of our church.
First Pres Mission Engagement Principles
- First Pres has a long history of partnership with local agencies that empower the poor, the immigrant, children and youth, in Jesus name. Our aim is to collaborate with these mission partners so that those in need can be empowered and released from dehumanizing poverty into human flourishing.
- Following the model set forth in the Parable of the Good Samaritan (Lk. 10:25-37), we both care for the injured and partner with those who are best suited in their ministries to care for the injured. We live in an engagement model based upon giftedness, relationship and constant prayer and discernment.
- Embracing the prophet Jeremiah’s call to “seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you” (Jer. 29:7), First Pres believes successful engagement with our city happens when we are partnered and living together in the communities we serve. The process of breaking bread together and responding to the needs of others is a beautiful expression of God’s Kingdom on earth.
Responsibilities of the Assistant Pastor for Mission Engagement
This position works in partnership with the Lead Pastor and First Pres Session to evolve the vision for First Pres outreach strategy by
- development of accessible experiences for first-time mission encounters up to involvement in and commitment to developed multi-year mission relationships.
- development and maintenance of existing First Pres relationships with mission agencies, denominational leaders and missionaries across the globe. First Pres has deep relationships with multiple Colorado Springs agencies and partnerships in Cuba, Egypt, Guatemala, India and Mongolia. We expect that First Pres will continue to evolve its local and global partnerships into the future.
- working to multiply our mission effectiveness through the development of leaders and lay teams. Our Sunday Communities, Life Groups and other First Pres ministries also independently develop community and international relationships. This position will help inform and liaise various groups in their mission relationships to keep them in alignment with the First Pres vision for local and global engagement and our discipleship pathway.
Education and Experience
First Pres is looking for an individual who has a passion for Christ and the Bible and thrives in partnered relationships between neighborhoods, agencies, institutions and cultures—an individual who thinks holistically about ministry and views global and local engagement activity as part of the whole church ministry with multiple entry points. This individual needs high energy, creativity, ability to run programs, lead from up front, build lay teams, equip and coach.
- Bachelor's degree in international relations, anthropology, sociology or related degree desired.
- Masters’ Degree in Theology or Divinity required so that the individual is ready for ordination (or is already ordained in a denominational context in alignment with ECO).
- Thrives in cross-cultural experiences. Might have the ability to speak multiple languages. Has worked in diverse settings that require flexibility, sensitivity and awareness and celebration of cultural difference.
- This position requires international travel up to several times a year.
This is a full-time position with benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, 403b retirement, paid time off, vacation and sick pay.
If God is laying this call on your life, send your resume and a two-page (maximum) Statement of Faith and explanation of how you see God calling you to this position to and apply using the link below.