The Worship Leader provides the vision for contemporary-style worship in partnership with the Lead Pastor and Minister of Worship and Music. The Worship Leader recognizes that Worship is not a performance but is an opportunity to lead a community in worship, praise and response to the Word. Providing excellent musicianship and creativity, and most of all by his or her own faithfulness to God, this position leads worship in a Christ-centered and authentic way. It is understood that this position leads First Presbyterian Church forward into an authentic worship experience consistent with the Reformed style of worship.
This is a full-time position with benefits that include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, 403b retirement, paid time off, vacation and sick pay.
Required Knowledge & Skills
The following is required to be successful in this job
- Unabashed love of Jesus Christ
- Ability to proclaim the Gospel
- Ability to help people see Christ and experience Christ in all aspects of worship.
- Excellent knowledge of the Bible
- Ability to develop a contemporary/modern service of worship in a reformed tradition.
- Ability to form the band into a community that exemplifies a Christ-centered community modeling what it means to live for Christ 24/7
- Ability to initiate and develop relationships across multiple generations within First Pres
- Wide and deep knowledge of contemporary musical expression and musical literature
- Ability to create worship as a whole experience including understanding the roles of worship arts, music, the spoken Word and the technical support areas
Committed follower of Jesus Christ.
Holds beliefs that are consistent with those of ECO: An Covenant Order of Evangelical and First Pres and consistent with Evangelical Reformed Theology
4-year college degree desired but not required
Minimum of 3 years leading worship as lead instrumentalist/vocal or part of Christian based contemporary musical setting such as stage, theatre, performance band or similar
Experience creating atmosphere integrating stage design, lighting and sound to create a contemporary worship experience
Proficiency in multiple instruments with significant skills in either acoustic guitar or keyboard
Significant vocal skills
Read and write music, chord charts, guitar tabs and percussion tabs/charts